Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Once And For All

Greetings nonexistent reader!  ;)  

Here in the Sonoran Desert many a cactus blooms from March through May (and beyond).  The echinopsis variety sport many different color and sized blooms, but here is the grandest of them all.  Echinopsis candicans, hails from Argentina, I believe.  Except for hybrid varieties, the echinopsis bloom opens at night and wilts by noon or shortly thereafter the following day.  Thus this spectacular blossom lives less than a single day.



I photographed this specimen at the Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden this morning.  I have many more photos to share, but thought I'd go ahead and get something here on my 'waiting' blog.  

Welcome to my Sonoran desert world!  


2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, There is such a serene beauty in the desert, totally different from here in the Southeast, where everything seems boisterously alive. I lived for a short time in New Mexico and remember well the vast spaces of cactus sentinels and the Pure blue of the sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeri, how delightful to find a comment at my neglected blog! Especially lovely that it is from you, as I surely enjoy peeking in on your life at your Hop-along Hollow blog, and your artwork is exquisite. :) Thank you for taking the time to say hello, and yes, there is such a vast difference in the Southwest compared to the Southeast! My husband has family in Tennessee, and I had a beloved Uncle in KY, would enjoy visiting your green green part of the country one day! Thank you again!

      Delete